The main objective of the MicroInvest Scheme launched by Malta Enterprise is to assist small and medium-sized enterprises to invest, improve, and expand their business by providing a tax credit based on eligible investment.
In brief, the capital investments which will be eligible for this tax credit include:
- Costs in relation to furbishing, refurbishing and upgrading of business premises
- Investments in purchasing of machinery, technology, instruments and motor vehicles
- Investments in purchasing of computer hardware, software and other ICT equipment
- Recruitment of employees claiming tax credit for the first 12 months of their employment
- Development and renovation of websites
The eligibility criteria are as follows:
- Enterprises which did not employ more than 30 employees
- Enterprises whose turnover did not exceed €10m during the year in which costs were incurred
- The undertakings should be registered with the VAT department
- The undertaking should have the applicable regulatory licenses and permits
- Applicants must not be defaulting in VAT, income tax, social security and rent payments to government
- Applicants must employ at least one employee at the date of application (this person may be the applicant himself in case of self-employed person)
- Self-employed persons are also eligible for this scheme as long as they meet the employees and turnover threshold.
The tax credit is equivalent to 45% of eligible expenditure up to a maximum of €30,000.
At Accounting Services Ltd we can help you in the application process and provide you with advisory services in order to successfully obtain funding for your business investment and other tax benefits. This incentive is open to all undertakings, which at point of application satisfy all of the criteria enlisted within the Incentive Guidelines. This incentive is open to all undertakings, which at point of application satisfy all of the criteria enlisted within the Incentive Guidelines.
The following table portrays all the MicroInvest Scheme deadlines from the year 2016 to the year 2020.
Claims for costs incurred in year:
(Self Employed submitting tax return in June):
(Companies submitting tax return in September):
Eligible Application will receive an Incentive Entitlement
Certificate commencing from year of assessment:
30th March 2016
31st May 2017
30th November 2016
29th March 2018
31st May 2018
14th December 2018
29th March 2019
31st May 2019
13th December 2019
27th March 2021
31st May 2021
13th December 2021